Saturday, December 19, 2015

Between Spectrums

Man in the Mirror


Have you ever looked in the mirror and told yourself that you are an exceptional person? Thinking that you don't need help from anything or anyone because you can take of yourself? I did, except for the mirror part, I thought that as a capable college student that I don't need anybody to help me with my classes. But after a not so great semester and having a talk with my father, I come to realize that I do need help in some aspects of my education. I could have asked tutors to help but I chose not to cause I was stubborn to admit that I needed them. And I was also stubborn to admit to myself that because of my traits, it puts me in the autistic spectrum. I thought that if I said that I was in the spectrum that it classified me as disabled and I couldn't take care of myself. Because of that mind set I wanted to prove that I could take care of myself and never asked for help in my school work. But because of my poor decisions I didn't do so well. 

Sometimes we have to face ourselves and say that it's okay to ask for help and it's okay to say you have some form of autism. Autism is never a bad thing but I personally didn't want to say that I have some form of it cause I didn't want people to treat me like I was disabled. But in college they have tutors and counselors that can help you cause they want to and they don't judge you. Asking for help doesn't make you disabled and it doesn't mean you lack intelligence. It just shows that you have things that you would like some guidance on a certain aspect in your life. Think of it like this, when going a road trip to your destination, It doesn't hurt to ask for directions when you aren't sure on where you're going. Sometimes before we ask for help we have to look at the man, or woman, in the mirror and say to ourselves that it's okay to admit that we have our flaws and it's okay to accept them. 

I've been saying our limitations make us limitless. But I didn't want to accept that I too have limitations and that was my limitation. So I would like to start over. My name is Tay Gallagher, I'm somewhere in the autism spectrum, and I know my limitations can make me limitless just like how you can be limitless. 

Thank you for your time
Tay Gallagher  

1 comment:

  1. WHAT A GREAT ARTICLE! IT TAKES AN INTELLIGENT PERSON TO RECOGNIZE THEIR LIMITATIONS. WE ALL HAVE THEM!! MINE ARE THE SCIENCES, ALGEBRA, BUT I AM GREAT IN ENGLISH, HISTORY, LANGUAGES, ETC. TAY, YOU ARE VERY INTELLIGENT, THIS ARTICLE SHOWS IT!

    ReplyDelete