Saturday, May 2, 2015

Between Spectrums

A Friendship Without Words


Hey Readers

Sorry that I didn't make a post last Thursday. I was pretty busy but now I got time to make this post.

When one is autistic and nonverbal, making friends can be hard. But that doesn't stop Skyler and Kreed from being friends. Besides both of them having autism and being nonverbal, Skyler has Usher  syndrome, deaf, and losing his peripheral vision. While Kreed has mitochondrial disease, hypothyroidism, epilepsy, and his only way to communicate is a device that talks for him. When Kreed's mother explained to him that Skyler was deaf and also nonverbal like him he wanted to be friends with him. He even calls him his best friend. And so they're friendship begins. And like any other teenager, they hang out, eat pizza, watch movies, and give each other a helping hand. Because of his peripheral vision, going to new places can be scary for Skyler. So Kreed gives him the help he needs. And Skyler gives Kreed the confidence he needs to be himself and to be the one helps and not be helped. Though they can speak, save Kreed's device, they can communicate to each other in their own way. These guys like to be around each other and their friendship is a testament of selflessness of  any people. 

Growing up I do make friends. But it's tough maintaining the friendships you make. It sometimes remembering some names of great people I met can make it difficult. Even though I remember them I sometimes can't place the name. I served a mission in Kentucky and I would love to visit the people I met. But sometimes I wonder would I remember them? Would they remember me? Would they be glad to see me? Or regard me as a distant memory like how sometimes see people? Sometimes it can be lonely but the one way that keeps out of depression is remembering that I do have friends and family and a Heavenly Father that do care about me and love me. 

We as good people should reach out to people, whether autistic or not. Some people can be shy and nonverbal so we should try to help them come out of their shell by being their friend. And if we are shy ourselves we can try to reach out and be friends who want to be friends with us. Friendship is essential to ones happiness. Let's extend that happiness.

For more info on Skyler and Kreed just go to the Kreed's World blog by his mother Erin. If you have any questions about autism please comment below. And feel free to check out the Facebook page of the blog.

Thank you for your time
Tay Gallagher

No comments:

Post a Comment