Thursday, April 23, 2015

Between Spectrums

Knowledge Is Power


When I was five years old I once took an IQ test. When I was done I got a low score of 57. My mother thought that the people who did the testing either wrong or didn't do the test correctly. The guy who took the test knew that I was smarter than that. I just had a tough time understanding. But two years later I retook the test and I go a better IQ score. It showed that my intelligence spiked. It defiantly showed that I was not stupid but with work I am smart and I now can understand things that I come across. Now I'm no genius I'm just a guy that had to prove that I am smart. 

Now having intelligence is important but from what I can tell, we use most of it on certain topics that interest us. So when you see that an autistic can show you where a well known city is or tell you who the 25th president is or who won an Grammy for what song in what year but can't figure what the answer is to a math problem, It doesn't mean that they're not smart it just means that they put their focus and memory on things that interest them. They are smart and if they can remember some trivia, they can remember subjects in school. Sometimes autistic children have a hard time understanding things that they come in contact with. So it's truly amazing that we have teachers who do help those who are autistic and have a tough time learning. They take there time to help them in subjects that they lack and they encourage their autistic students to go through their interest and see what they would like to do as a career. 

Temple Grandin is autistic and she turned her interest in life stock and made it into a career that she is proud of, Susan Boyle is aspergers yet gain the courage to take her interest to Britain's Got Talent and become a fantastic singer, and Pulitzer Price winning critic Tim Page acknowledges his aspergers in his writing. Because some have autism we shouldn't expect failure from them, on the contrary we should help them when they struggle with some subjects and encourage them to study hard and look for things that interest them. Because interest and school can lead to a career that they can exhale in.   

If you have any questions about autism, Please feel free to comment below or in the Facebook page. 

Thank you for your time
Tay Gallagher

No comments:

Post a Comment