Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Between Spectrums

Up On The Roof


Have you ever got so stressed, angry, upset, etc, that you want to go somewhere so you can just let it fade away? If so you're not alone. People with autism, or somewhere in the spectrum can get stressed out. Some more than others. But they do manage their stress by having coping mechanisms or doing things that they know can calm them down. For example, when I was a kid I would sometimes run back and forth because it was a coping mechanism for me whenever something instance comes up in a movie. As an adult I don't run back and forth but I usually go on a walk or run to either avoid stressful situations or relieve stress. Today I was getting stressed cause I wasn't getting some math questions right. So I stopped and took a walk while listening to some music. There was one song in particular that was really good. Cause it got me thinking about how sometimes we need to go to a quiet place and just let our troubles fade for a bit.

The song's called "Up On The Roof". There are many versions to it, but it's the James Taylor version that really impressed me. In the beginning he talks about how when life gets too much he would go up to the roof. While on the roof, he doesn't let the world bother him but enjoys the peace that comes from lying on a roof and looking up to the stars. Each of us can go to our own roofs to find peace from stress. Not going to a literal roof, but finding something or somewhere that helps you when you're stressed. Sometimes a walk around the park or campus can help a lot. Or listening to positive music with soothing sounds might be better for most people. Whatever it may be, may you roof be a place of peace and stress free.

Thank you for your time
Tay Gallagher

No comments:

Post a Comment